The Service provides support for students with disabilities enrolled at the University of Bologna.
The Services for Students with Disabilities mainly carries out the addresses of students with disabilities on entry and exit from the university and support them throughout their course of study, with the aim of identifying and designing the types of support needed to each student to perform successfully their studies.
The Service is also working with different universities and regional agencies and local istitutions in the belief that, through strong networks of sharing and working together, we can take meaningful steps towards a university more accessible to everybody.
The Service provides support for students with Specific Learning Difficulties.
Due to their specific characteristics of the DSA - specific learning disabilities (dyslexia, dysgraphia, dysorthography, dyscalculia) are often considered invisible.
It is for this reason that the Service for Students with disabilities has thought fit to create a specific desk that was more visible in order to reach students.
The Service, since its inception, in the style of the Service for Students with Disabilities, tried to center its activities on three main points :
- to respond to the needs of students with DSA;
- to help create the conditions for maximum acceptance by the University facilities;
- to establish contacts and collaborations with people in our area, has expertise and experience in the field.
The main activities of this service are:
- Support and guidance to disabled students during the transition from Secondary School to University, to help them familiarise with the University environment;
- Cooperation with the Schools and in particular with the persons of reference where present, to identify and plan any help which may be necessary to enable each student to successfully follow their chosen course. In particular as regards the creation of appropriate practical, logistical and relationship conditions for learning;
- Personalized contacts with disabled students to monitor their study progress and collect requests, comments and suggestions;
- Contacts with local public and private institutions that may contribute to the University’s service for disabled students. For certain specific matters cooperation with bodies and associations is governed by agreements established by the University itself;
- Guidance service at the end of the course to help students integrate into society and the world of work.
In case of special needs during a course the following services are available to students:
- Specific services in relation to specific needs and different types of disabilities;
- Support service for dyslexic students;
- Student tutor, university student within the second year beyond the official time limit who carries out various support activities;
- Specialised tutor with specific technical competences. For example this category of tutors includes people who teach blind students to use special IT instruments or people who communicate with deaf students who use Italian Sign Language.